Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Ribbon Weaving


Last weekend was challenge weekend over at ISC. One of the challenges was a ribbon weaving challenge. You had two types of ribbon weaving you could pick from. I wanted to try both but my first card was actually entered into the pink and gray challenge. I cut the top layer with a heart shape "window" using my Spellbinders heart die. I then placed that onto my next layer in the position I wanted and traced the heart with a pencil. I then removed the top layer and wove my ribbon directly onto the second layer making sure I was weaving over the traced pencil heart shape. Here is a tutorial on how to weave the ribbon...HERE. In the tutorial a separate piece of cardstock is used to weave the ribbon but by doing it the way I did, I was able to cut down on some bulk. Notice the stick pin? That was made by Terrie who was one of the participants in a stick pin swap that I recently hosted on the CardMakers site.


This next type of ribbon weaving looked a bit tricky but once I got started I found it was super simple and fun to do. You can view a tutorial HERE. Once I had my ribbon woven I brought the ends together creating the circle to make a wreath for my card.

Once I had my card done I realized that I had actually weaved leather strips this way as a kid. One summer at camp during arts and crafts time we made leather belts weaving a long strip of leather. That was a long time ago!

It was fun trying something new. I hope you will give it a try too!
Thanks for stopping by!

6 comments:

Becky said...

Sue, that heart is just stunning! Filled with wonderful details, and love the ribbon you used for this project. The gold wreath is also fabulous..

GiftsByHeidi said...

Wow, those are both gorgeous! I have never seen ribbon woven that way. I love the wreath card, so beautiful!

Lora3677 said...

VERY pretty susan. :)

Teresa Arsenault said...

That ribbon weaving is gorgeous. I especially like the pink one. Well done, Susan.

Hugs,
Teresa

GeminiJen said...

I'm glad you posted your beautiful cards on your blog. Challenge Weekend was fun. So happy that you could participate.

Janice W. said...

These ribbon cards are gorgeous! Beautiful job Susan!